As, you know, Ghost is one widely popular of being free and open-source blogging platform. Though Ghost has been developed to tailor the need for blogging without having to operate on full-grown CMS which is used to make complex websites.
The Ghost blogging platform was initially started with a non-profit ghost foundation by John O’Nolan (he was a deputy lead of WordPress UI team). With the successful starting, the campaign has remarkable gone big and peoples come to raise funds for it. As WordPress was becoming too complex Ghost being the young platform enchanted everyone with the modern Node.js execution engine which makes it faster surpassing WordPress in manifolds? The latest version of Ghost released with version 0.7.5.
Anyone can look out to download this amazing Ghost platform, install it on your server for absolutely free of cost. Similarly, the Ghost foundation has got up with few paid best hosting for ghost and its hosting plans are known as Ghost(Pro) for users don’t want this hassle to manually configure and install on their servers.
All the Ghost hosting plans are managed by the Ghost Foundation. But as of now, there are no free Ghost(Pro) plans. The profits that generate are invested again for further development infrastructure of the Ghost project.
Benefits of Choosing Best Ghost Hosting?
Ghost has become really popular among all masses due to its functionalities and a lesser role in configuring it. Users with limited or knowledge afraid of taking the risk to install it on the server or configuring on their own can look at it.
Basically, there are 4 hosting plans as of now offered by Ghost Pro.
- Unlimited transfers and storage
- Automatic updates and backup
- SSL support
- Global CDN and security protection
- Support for all themes and apps
Installing Ghost on a Server
For installing a Ghost on a server you need a specific Node.js execution engine which can be downloaded in a .zip file. A user first needs to extract the downloaded files and enable the Node command prompt and initiate the Ghost from there.
Further, instructions are available online. While having windows, Mac or Linux OS. Installing and launching require having the Node Package Manager. Using Ghost as a public which is something we do not recommend. You can either use the server software like Apache, Nginx or IIS to deliver the content.
Setting up Ghost on the host is crucial when you plan to run directly from the server. The steps are little cumbersome which consists of installing the Node.js and allow SSH terminal window to access the Node.js.
PS: Ensure that you have the latest release of Node.js installed on the server.
The basis installation guide for Ghost is as follows:-
- Download the latest release of Ghost
- Unzip the file into the web directory
- Run the installation script
- Launch the ghost using the Node Package Manager
- Ensure that it’s running on the website
- Edit the URL and main setting in the configuring file
- Set Ghost to run it on your server
PS: Upgrading Ghost can be little tricky as it needs a whole manual process. You need to check for the latest release periodically for most stable and bug-free version.
Features of Ghost Blogging Platform
Ghost Blogging Platform has focused more on blogging and publishing the content. It’s easier to navigate and use the fully operational CMS similar to WordPress. So, the first benefit a user can derive would be Easy to use managing and browsing the content is a lot easier akin to the way you use your emails.
- Another feature We like having a powerful split-screen markdown editor which shows the live preview. So, a Split-screen editor should be the top choice when typing and formatting the content.
- The third benefit would be the overlay interface, the interfaces are pretty straightforward which is clean and design to make clutter-free. The simple interface is high on the priority of our list.
- Ghost rebuilds itself to make it search engine optimized. SEO Features that make it tirelessly beautiful is now supported in Ghost.
- Play with designs with themes offered for Ghost. Disqus comments, Google custom search and Google analytics are now supported by Ghost.
- No more working alone, if you have a team or an editor or delegating author roles to members. The user roles are now is simpler than other blogging systems. This makes is flexible and easy to manage a blogging team.
How about Alternatives to Ghost Blogging Platform?
Do you know there are many alternative free blogging platforms available? You can seek WordPress, a blogger but all these have a common issue with them. Like limited tweaking and customization. Despite offering free blogging platforms Ghost is still the best the when it comes to using it on the server by installing and running it within few minutes.
Should you choose the Hosted options? Of course YES there are few blogging software packages offered by the various hosting providers that specifically supports installing Ghost on their servers. Not only that they are one of the popular choices of hosting regular websites and blog among masses.